Sunday, January 24, 2016

Daily Spiral Math Review In Kindergarten!


Has anyone else had the Smonday Blues today??  I have all day today.  I think it is because, while I had a fun filled weekend with friends, I really got nothing productive done.  And while one part of me says, 'Live it up girlfriend--YOLO!', the other part of me is sitting here staring at the laundry, dishes, etc. etc. etc.  But I choose to go with YOLO (and no I am not too old to say that ;) )


Anyway, I decided to be slightly productive on this Smonday and share something with you all that I have been wanting to for awhile now.

My district has emphasized math during our PD's these past few years.  We adopted a Balanced Math approach.  It is pretty much the same idea as Balanced Literacy--there are different components that are to be used 'equally'.  When I first heard this, I like was thinking, well duh, it makes so much sense!  It works well with literacy so why not with math as well?

The first component my instructional coach wanted us to implement was Math Review.  This is just supposed to be a quick (5-10 min. max), daily review of about 4 math problems.  So easy right?!

.....And then I remembered that I teach Kindergarten.  I am sure my fellow K teachers can relate--we are just such a different creature!  That is not to say that these things can't be used in Kindergarten, just that I need to figure out how to adapt it and make it easily accessible and engaging to my little ones.  I cannot do what the older grades did, which is print a few word problems or equations on a piece of paper, give the kiddos 5 minutes to work independently, collect papers, and move on.  Just not a reality in my kindergarten classroom.

Sooooo, with a little brainstorming of my team my Kindergarten Daily Math Review Journals were born!  There are 20 pages for each month, including a cute themed cover.  On each page there are 4 skills to practice, with the last always being a story problem.  These journals start out very simple in August and the skills progress through the months, eventually hitting all the K math standards.  The best part though is that the skills SPIRAL!  We cannot just teach a concept once in September and think that they are going to remember it in May.  So the journals introduce new concepts each month but also review previously taught ones.

Here is an example from our August Math Review Journals:


 And from September:

We have a little routine and the students get pretty independent at Math Journal Time.  We get them out and I explain each part.  I then give them a little independent work time where I walk around assisting as needed.  We then come back together and I choose students to share their journal with the class.  This share time is SO important!  It not only motivates them to do their best (they want to be a sharer) but it also works on explaining their thinking and reasoning.  By the end of the year, they are pros at explaining how they got their answer.  It also helps any kiddos who may not have gotten the right answer to see a strategy their friend used so they can try it next time.

*The KIDS LOVE THESE because they are cute and fun!  They beg to get them out and if we miss a day, they are NOT happy about it!  *I LOVE THESE because I have seen my students math skills skyrocket the past couple years we have been using them!!  The daily review really helps to build their confidence and keep the skills fresh in their minds.  *It also helps me not to stress so much--I know that if they didn't 100% 'get it' today that it's ok!!  This skill will come up many more times in future journal pages.

We are currently working in our January Math Review Journals:

They love to decorate the front and it is an excellent early finisher activity!

At the end of the month, if any pages are left I let students complete them at home and return them for Class Dojo points.  It makes a great at home practice!

One other way I have begun to use these is for intervention groups.  For example, I have a small group that is working in the October Journals right now when our Math RTI teacher works with them.  It works well because it is right at the level they need for now and she doesn't have to dig around looking for things to use with them.  She does a math journal and then a game each day.  As my kiddos would say--Easy Peasy! 

We send our journals to the district print shop and just have these ready to go!  We ask them to print the front cover and back cover on pretty cardstock to make them a little more durable.  Here are the rest of the years Math Review Journals just waiting to be used! :)



If you'd like to check these out, click here.  These are available as a bundle or as each month separately.  I hope you love these as much as we do! 

Thanks for motivating me to make my Smonday a little more productive!  This was a lot more fun than laundry and dishes!  ;)

2 comments:

 


Blog Design By: The Cutest Blog on the Block