Saturday, February 13, 2016

How I Implemented Flexible Seating In My Classroom For LESS Than $50!!

Happy Saturday!!  I hope this post finds you relaxing over your 3 day weekend!  And for some of you northeastern teachers, I hear many of you get A WEEK off over President's Day?!  Extremely jealous teacher right now.  We just get Monday off, but I'll take what I can get :)

Today I thought I would share something that I have gotten a lot of questions from teachers about when they hear I have tried it this year.

First off, I love trying new things in my classroom!  I think that is one of the things I love most about teaching--there is always something new to learn or try!  I couldn't get bored if I tried.

I try new things often, but every year I usually have one new idea I implement that works so well that I wonder how I ever lived without it in the first place!  This year that was flexible seating!

I had toyed with this idea for a couple years actually.  I always saw it used in upper grades though (like 4th and up).  While I thought it was brilliant, I had doubts about if I could implement it in my kindergarten classroom.  How on earth would I manage that with 25 kindergarteners??  Where would we keep our supplies?  Would they be able to handle to the responsibility of so much choice in their first year of elementary school?  What about all of our cut/paste projects?  And finally (the kicker for all things teaching)--how on earth would I afford to try it?

I did not want to do a Donor's Choose or write a grant for something I was not 100% sure I would continue doing.  I was worried that I would not like it or it would not work in my classroom and I would want to switch back to traditional seating.

But for better or worse, I am the type of person that once I get something started in my brain (especially something that I think could potentially help my students), I just can't stop it.  I have to see it through--I NEED to try it out!

So I set out on a mission to find a way to try flexible seating on a teacher's budget.  I searched online, stores like 5 Below, Wal-Mart, and of course, MY BFF Ikea!  After much research, I realized I could probably get more than enough different seating options for my classroom, while not spending a million dollars.  So here I am to show you how I tried.....





Through my research, I found the most bang for my buck at Ikea (aka heaven on earth).  Soooo I bribed my boyfriend (there is a Jack in the Box right next to Ikea) into taking a trip with me one evening.  Here is what I walked away with:

These awesome stools!  They are only $5 each, very sturdy, and come in a few different colors.  I got 4 black ones for my classroom.






I also got 2 of these pillows for only 1.99 each!  I got black pillow cases that were 1.99 each as well.




I got 4 of these pillows too--they were 3.99 each.  They have several colors too but didn't have black so I had to settle for gray.



So for all of that, I only spent about $48 dollars!  (Ok, so that is technically not ALL I walked out of Ikea with, but that is all that was related to my flexible seating mission--I have no self control whatsoever in that place.)

I did already have these 6 crate seats that were at my small group table, as well as a teeny tiny coffee table that I had inherited from my grandma's house.  And I had a classroom set of clipboards I had purchased from the dollar store over the years.  So these contributed to my flexible seating options.

It took roughly an hour and a half one evening (with the boyfriend's help) to transform my classroom.  And here is the final 'in use' product!



As you can see, I left one table 'regular' with chairs at it that the 2 girls are sitting in.  There are 2 kids at my U table on crate seats, 2 in the very back corner on their knees at that coffee table I covered with a zebra table cloth for now (until I can get it painted--it is perfect size, but uuuuugly!)

You can also see a few boys that chose to work on the floor in different areas, and then one boy sitting on a pillow working at the lowered table--we just took the legs off of it and it's perfect height for them to sit at!

It's hard to tell, but the boys on the very right are sitting on stools at a trapezoid table.

There are more students behind me and to my left that could not fit in the picture.  A couple of them are just standing using the top of a shelf as a table.  In fact, this has become a favorite spot for some of them--to just find a shelf to stand at and work on.  And that cost me NOTHING and needed no rearranging!  They also enjoy just grabbing a clipboard and spreading out on the floor somewhere--again this cost me nothing!

As for supplies, I switched from community 'table supplies' back to having individual student crayon boxes in their cubbies.  This way they can just grab their supply box and go sit wherever they choose.

I will do a more detailed post on the management and my personal review of how it is working in my classroom very soon!

I hope this inspires you and gives you a good starting place if you are toying with the idea of flexible seating!  And if you have any tips or deals for more seating options, please leave me a comment, I would LOVE to hear them!
  



15 comments:

  1. I love your flex seating! I am looking forward to connecting with other Missouri bloggers. Where are you located?

    http://teachbyfaith.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! I am in KC :) How about you?

      Delete
    2. I wondered if you were in the metro when you said jack and the box was near by! I am a Kindergarten teacher looking into doing alternative seating and no assigned seats next year as well... :) Are your kids still liking it? How do you organize it to avoid racing for their favorite spot?

      Delete
    3. Yes, I am in KC, MO! :) I'm assuming you are also in the area?

      And yes, my kids and I both are still loving it! I have very strict rules/procedures and that helps--if there is any fussing over spots or taking too long to choose, then they know I will just pick for them (and they don't want that!) We also never all get up at once--for instance, if we are getting up from the carpet, I call a row of students at a time to get up and go choose a work space. This way there is no mad rush.

      Good luck and I hope this helps! I am working on a post of common Q&A's I get about flexible seating that should be up within the week! :)

      Delete
  2. I am at the Lake of the Ozarks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am wondering how this looks at the beginning of the year???? How does day 1 look? I am switching from first grade to kinder and trying flexible seating for the first time. YIKES! I am a little scared about the first few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You will LOVE kinder AND flexible seating! How exciting!!

      I just finished a new post answering common questions I get, including how I introduce it to my students! http://kinderhumor.blogspot.com/2016/06/flexible-seating-questions-answered.html

      Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions! I am certainly no expert, but would be happy to help! :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing!! I can't wait to implement flex seating in my KG classroom this coming year. I'm on Ikea's website now...Hopefully I can control my spending! lol Thank you again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! That is so exciting, I am sure you will love it! I hope you have more self control than I do when it comes to Ikea! ;)

      Delete
  5. I am really interested in this idea!! I teach 3rd grade, I am worried about what we would do during testing(STAAR). Anybody have experience with this grade or higher grades??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I don't do STAAR testing but we do have standardized assessments we do--it actually works out better for me because we can spread out so far from each other. I have students using every nook/cranny of my room to work in! Hope this helps and good luck if you try it!! :)

      Delete
  6. Nice job! What are your thoughts when working with High School students. I see more posts for elementary but not many for High School classrooms. Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing! I am a Kindergarten teacher in Memphis, TN and have been looking for ideas for implementing flexible seatings, especially at a cost I can afford. How are you liking it? How did you manage the students at the beginning when you introduced it? Your classroom looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing ^_^

    Hi mam, I'm just curios regarding the funds, is it from you own pocket?

    objective: School Research
    Thanks: Verjel A.C.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! Can you explain how you made the crate seats? I have also seen it with buckets, but am trying to figure out how to make the seat part. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

 


Blog Design By: The Cutest Blog on the Block