Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Coding in the Elementary Classroom!

Omg y'all...I usually try to blog on Saturdays, but I totally missed this week.  But for a VERY good reason!  I was at a workshop all day.  A fantastic, amazing, and best of all FREE workshop!

Look how happy me and the teaching bestie are to be at this workshop (even on a Saturday)!  We were trying to get a selfie in front of the fountains during lunch.....obviously we are not good selfie-takers!  :)

Have you ever heard of the technological divide?  It basically refers to the difference between areas or individuals that have access to technology and those that do not.  Working in a heavily Title 1 school, I see the consequences this has on our children and families.  For just one example, parent communication is extra tough.  It is hard to even get a hold of many parents because they are constantly changing phone numbers, they don't have internet access to sign up for things like ClassDojo or email me when they need to, etc.  I would say (rough estimate) that about 80% of my students do not have internet access in their home.  Therefore, my students do not have the 'natural' access to technology that other students may have.  On top of that, I have ZERO and yes I mean ZERO technology in my classroom.  Not even a classroom computer or two.  And we have no computer lab, so my students do not get it there either.

This is a huge concern to me--if students are not getting something at home, I feel we must get it to them in school!

I feel technology is SO important because it is everywhere in our society, and it is only getting bigger and better.  So I think it is important for students to not only be able to use it to 'play' on the internet or talk on the phone, etc., but to know at least the basics of how this technology works.  Heck, I'm a grown adult and I have very little knowledge of the inner workings of a computer.  If I restart and it still won't work, I am pretty much out of ideas on how to fix it!  Lol, sad but true.

So long story short, I somehow stumbled upon this workshop called Code.org (I'm honestly not even sure how).


I was instantly interested because I love any and ALL things that incorporate technology in the classroom.

The workshop was run by a group called Science Pioneers, and one of their missions is to get this coding program into schools at an early age so students realize they CAN code and it is not such a scary, out of reach thing.  (I know I certainly felt that way.)

Now do we think every student is going to grow up to be a 'coder' or in the computer programming field?  Not necessarily.  Do we teach writing because we think every student will grow up to be an author?  Or teach math thinking every student will go into a mathematical field?  No, but we want them to have the basic skills and knowledge so that they know that is an OPTION for their future.  The point is there are SO many jobs in this field and we want students to know they CAN if they WANT to!  Coding also teaches critical thinking, problem solving, math skills, logic/reasoning, collaboration, and other skills that are critical for students in all areas of life.

On top of this being a brilliant idea to bring coding into schools, they also brought it in the most easy, fun, and engaging way!  I swear, a teacher must have made this program or something....it starts very basic and is scaffolded so well.  It also turns it into a game to make it fun for students.  There are Angry birds, zombies, Frozen, Minecraft, and lots more.  Seriously, it could not be more engaging!!

So here is the gist of what I got in this fabulous workshop:

So far there are 4 levels:


Course 1 starts all the way with kindergarteners (which is awesome for me!), and the courses take you through middle school age.  They are supposed to add more courses for high school by this summer.

On your teacher account, you add all of your students.  They can then work at their own pace through the puzzles. Here is an example of a puzzle from Course 2:


My mission was to make the Angry Bird get to the pig.  So under the 'when run' I drug over 2 'move forwards'.  I can then push 'run' and it will run the code so I can see what it does.  If it works, on to the next puzzle, if it does not, I need to 'debug' or find the error in my code and fix it.

It starts off very simple like this and then slowly introduces students to things like loops, conditionals, and other more 'complicated' coding features, such as the one below:


For this one, I needed my zombie to get to the flower.  To do this, he had to turn right, move forward, and move forward again.  He needed to repeat that whole sequence 3 times (which is what a loop--the pink-- is).  I totally sound like a coding genius right now, don't I??  ;)

I promise I knew none of this before last Saturday, so if you are getting a little lost just hang with me....

While the students are working on puzzles at their own pace (differentiation anyone??), you are incorporating 'unplugged' lessons.  These are lessons you can teach, such as card games, dice games, songs, etc. that teach and reinforce the coding concepts without actually using the computer.

Alright, now are you ready for the best part yet??  Not only is the workshop (training) free to you as an educator, but they also send you home with ALL SUPPLIES needed to start teaching!  They give you a little 'swag bag' to go home with that day:

 I'm feeling pretty official now ;)


And it includes an instructor's manual for all the 'unplugged' lessons!


You then sign up for them to mail you the supply kit you want, depending on your grade level.  So I am stalking the mail patiently waiting for my supply kit for Course 1 to arrive!  So excited!!!

Is there any better word to a teacher than FREE??  Not many!

Now my only challenge is to get technology in my classroom (computers, ipads, anything!) so my students can fully participate in the program.  For now, we may have to solve the puzzles together on my laptop while I project it.  I am determined to find a way to make this opportunity happen for my students though!  They deserve it!!  And I just can't stop thinking of a couple specific boys who I have had to work very hard to engage and capture their interest this year that would be SO into this!

To sum up--if you have not checked out code.org, you and your students are missing out!  :)  If you head to their website, there is a place where you can search your area for free workshops!  They have them all over, so I am sure there is one near you soon!  I highly recommend going!

I would love to hear from anyone who currently uses this in their classroom!  Leave me a comment below with any words of wisdom or how it is going for you and your students! :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post! I am looping with my students next year and looking for new "special days." I am adding Hour of Code to my list! Can you use GoFundMe to get a couple of Chromebooks or a projector? Do you have Wi-Fi?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome, I hope you can use it!

    I do have wi-fi and a teacher lap top with a way I can project it, so for now I was thinking we may just have to all share my lap top and work through the puzzles as a class. Part of the beauty of it though is that students can all be working through the puzzles at the same but at their own pace.

    I was looking in to a GoFundMe or maybe a Donors Choose project. I have never set one up so I was wondering if it would be asking too much money for Chromebooks or Ipads....hopefully I will get it figured out somehow! :)

    ReplyDelete

 


Blog Design By: The Cutest Blog on the Block