Saturday, October 24, 2015

Halloween Fun!


Happy Fall! 

I would just like to start this post by saying that the Kansas City Royals are going to the World Series!!!!!   YEEEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!  I may have had a few minor heart attacks watching the game last night, but all is well now!  ;)  Love our boys in blue!!!

Ok now on to more teachery stuff and the real reason for this post.....
 

Halloween is one of my favorite times of year!  I think I like it even more now that I am a teacher than I did as a kid.  There are SO many fun books and lessons that you can tie in to this part of the year.  So I thought I would show you what we have been up to the past few weeks during our Halloween Unit!


The first thing we did was a little craftivity I have been doing since my first year of teaching.  It is a must-do every year because it turns out soooo stinkin cute!  Check out our bulletin board:

 
Too cute right??


The kiddos love it!  We read the book, Where’s My Mummy? by Carolyn Crimi.  It is about a little baby mummy that gets lost and is scared.  The students then make text to self connections and complete the prompt:  ‘When I am scared, my mummy…..’  We then make our mummies and attach the writing piece to it.  Voila, a super cute bulletin board!

Here are some close ups:

When I'm scared, my mummy 'hugs me'.


 When I'm scared, my mummy 'holds my hand'.


This one cracks me up with the frowny faceWhen I'm scared, my mummy 'gives me a kiss'.  

To download this craftivity for free click here!


We also use Deanna Jump’s Halloween Math and Literacy Unit.  If you follow my blog, it will not take you long to notice my love for all things created by Deanna Jump.  She is fantastic!  And by fantastic, I mean I want to be her when I grown up.  :)


What I especially love about her units is how many skills/areas are covered in just one unit.  First, we read the book included in her unit about ‘Frankie’.  We then discussed adjectives to describe Frankie, created a web, completed a writing prompt, collected data, analyzed it, AND made a glyph!  Seriously check out how cute these Frankie glyphs are!   




So many skills covered, all while the students (and their teacher!) were having FUN!  Teacher WIN!!   

If you want the bulletin board letters for free click here.  I just cut them out and glued them onto green paper. 

I hope your Halloween week goes great--and that you survive the madness that will be Friday!  The day before Halloween!!  :)

 

1 comment:

  1. Cute Halloween crafts. I love all of the personalization.

    ReplyDelete

 


Blog Design By: The Cutest Blog on the Block